Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Draft work

What is it about reviewing and editing a draft that makes it feel so rewarding. Is it because you are birthing something into existence that wasn't ib the workd before? Is that the right analogy? As a writer can you accurately compare yourself to that if a new mother giving birth to child?

Kinda, maybe?

While the child is in the womb we dont look it over and over again trying to change it. We only try to mold it after its been releases into the wild and given its wits to survive. Then we can trybto shape it into a somewhat functioning adult. So maybe writing a new book isnt quite the same.

I suppose it would be closer to assume that we like blacksmiths hammering away at our manuscripts. Making them the sharoest and most lethal weapons we can imagine, or fashioning cookware and s hooks. Depends on the kind of blacksmith you wish to be i suppose.

These analogies I hear quite often. It makes me wonder does anyone else have writing analogies for line of work. Like perhaps its the opposite. Does an expecting mother think if her newborn as a new book shes releasing into the world, to be judged and loved by millions?

Hm. Thats not a bad comparison.

Whether or not it does happen i cant help but think these things while working on my current manuscript. I'm on my third run through it and I can't help but think these things. In the process I tend to like the blacksmith analogy because i feel like with each time I go through it, it just gets better and sharper. Plot holes get filled, characters become more defined, and scenery becomes more clear. If only we could harness thus editing and revision to our lives perhaps we could become the sharp deadly weapons of the world we strive to be...

Or not thats a little far fetched. I mean come on half us can't use there, their, they're correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment